Mariano Mallia moves us with his debut single "Don't Change"

Mariano Mallia Don't Change
Mariano Mallia

American singer/songwriter Mariano Mallia just released his debut single. However, the road that got him here has been anything but easy.  His debut single titled "Don’t Change" comes at the culmination of a long and grueling 4-year recovery process from a life-altering diagnosis of vocal paresis; a type of vocal paralysis that seriously impacts a persons ability to speak and sing. 

Mariano Mallia, who spent childhood summers visiting family members in Italy, says that it was in Italy that his passion for music was first born. His first musical memories come from Monacilioni, Italy, where the singer’s uncle was a local orchestra conductor and music teacher. At just 6 years old, Mallia remembers his uncle playing piano for him and owning just about every instrument under the sun. From those times, Mallia developed a deep appreciation for music, and ultimately decided to devote his life to music. However, the young singer’s pursuit was suddenly put to a halt in December of 2018 when he suddenly lost his voice.

"In 2018, I went from being a full-time singer to being an Uber driver in the span of just a few weeks", says Mariano, "It was extremely devastating. I had lost my job and my biggest passion all at once". He remembers those initial months as being some of the darkest of his life, and not being sure if he’d ever be able to sing or speak normally again. "There was a period of time where I could barely communicate to a person sitting right next to me. We went to a few doctors that didn’t know how to help me, and that was scary", Mallia described.

The artist says that he fell into a wave of despair that would have kept him down had he not changed his mindset. "What I learned in that dark period is that sometimes it takes hitting a low to regain your faith, get back up on your feet, and not take the miracle of life for granted". He attributes the depths of that situation to why he was able to change and ultimately recover. "Something told me that I had come too far to give up and that I was put on this earth for a reason, whether that meant being a singer or not", said Mallia. 

Despite the challenges, Mariano Mallia refused to give up on his dream of pursuing music. Over the course of four years, the singer continued to write songs, strengthen his voice with vocal therapy, and ultimately undergo vocal surgery in 2019. Two years post-surgery, the singer’s voice slowly started to come back. Fast forward to today, and his debut single is now out on all major listening platforms.

I'm incredibly happy to have the opportunity to finally feature an italian artist based in America, and the fact that his passion for music was born here in Italy it's even more amazing! The single "Don’t Change" is an emotive, three-and-a-half minute piano ballad that alludes to the struggles of chasing a dream, the pressures to conform to societal norms, and overcoming the seemingly impassable challenges that life has to throw at us. Many of us can certainly relate to this theme, including me: I can't listening to it without feeling emotional. The melody is really sweet and calm and sounds like Mariano's incredible hard work in recovering his voice is paying back because his vocals in this single are truly well realized, harmonizing with the piano in a wonderful way!

Mariano says that he wrote this song during a time when he was struggling to sing and to hold on to his dream of being a singer/songwriter. He hopes that the song inspires others to have faith and never quit in the face of adversity. Upon looking back, Mallia says "Sometimes the obstacle that doesn’t make any sense is exactly what you need to gain the strength to go further".

Mariano Mallia will be releasing a new song on the first Friday of each month. In describing his music, he says, "I believe in the power of love, faith, humanity, and self belief, and these are the core values that I write music about". I will certainly be continuing to follow Mariano Mallia’s journey, and you can too by searching "Mariano Mallia" on any social media or music streaming platform or by clicking the links below.

"Don't change"

I know you’ve heard, I know you’ve heard those lies

Like tell me where you wanna go, And I’ll pave the path in gold

Had enough, Enough of alibis

And waking up, never knowing who to trust, will I get by

I know your hearts been frozen cold

But I hope one thing you know

20 years spent in your parents basement

Say you’re falling short of expectation

After everything that you’ve been through

I hope you hang on to you

When you tell yourself the times all wasted

Holding on to a dream thats fading

I’m telling you no matter what you do

I hope you hang on to you

Cause oh, trust me I know you’re grieving

We’ve all got our demons

So don’t ever say you’re sorry

And oh, even when hope seems leaving 

Just thank God you’re breathing

And no matter what they all say

Don’t change

Know it’s hard, I know it’s hard to find

A single reason to stay strong, When everything is going wrong

Know it hurts, Know it hurts sometimes

But the dreams that you have won’t just come it’ll take time

Mariano Mallia Don't Change
Mariano Mallia
Instagram: @marianomallia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A cozy place where like-minded souls connect: welcome to The North Café!

News: Vintz Desert releases his new EP "The Blue Journal"

Thompson Newkirk encourages us to move on in his new single "Pass Mistakes"

Going out the comfort zone with Mariano Mallia's new single "The Search For More"

Going deep into the creative process behind "City and Sand", the new album by Tony Venuto