News: Green Knuckle Material releases "Nothing's Set in Stone" EP

 Green Knuckle Material 

"In the year 4000, George Kilroy Martens, the universe’s last hope, faced off against his arch enemy The Huntress Master of Dark Folk witchery who sought to devour the cosmos. During their battle she sent him back in time, splitting his essence into 5 separate entities. They were thrust back to the year 2016. Those 5 entities are now Green Knuckle Material"

Is it the start of a new best-seller? No, but it's near. The bio of Green Knucke Material is the most interesting I've ever read so far, and they actually confirmed me that they started a comic book with it! That's why I thought it was the best way to start showcasing one of my favorite indie bands - and, as sci-fi/fantasy fan, I think these guys have a huge talent in writing too!

Green Knuckle Material is an indie pop band from New Brunswick (New Jersey) comprised of Young Dan aka ydK (lead vocals and rhythm), D-String (bass and vocals), The Cuban Missile (lead guitar), Tony Baja (drums) and Sax Dan (saxophone). They were 2019 Stone Pony Rock to the Top Champions and have covered dozens of gigs during last summer.

I think "indie pop" is pretty limiting for this eccentric band that has the ability to melt pop, hip-hop, rock and dozens of other musical genres and influences in an unique sound. "Nothing's Set in Stone", their last EP release, is the best example of that. The sounds go from rap/hip-hop in "Will of fire" to the sweet ballad "Memories" who gives me The Everly Brothers vibes.

Their most recent song "Memories" is one of my favorites. Young Dan says: "Memories truly came about in a magical way. After D’string’s Uncle died, his Uncle left his guitar to D-string’s father, who we call Big Mike. Big Mike opened the guitar and said, “what do you got for me?” and started playing the very melody that would play at the start of the final product. Shortly after, D-string started writing some lyrics. Between a recent break-up and the death of his uncle, D-string was going through a lot and it shows in the lyrics. They were both super excited about the song and sent me the idea. Upon hearing the guitar melody and the lyric idea, I instantly fell in love with the song and connected in a way that I can’t really describe. The three of us met up and started to really get to work. It was amazing the way the music, lyrics, and melody all came together to tell the full story and message we were trying to get across. To me, “Memories” is a song about the finite nature of life. Even something as surreal as Love can dissipate in a few short moments. Lovers move on from one another as life’s obstacles send them different directions, people closest to us can pass on without a moments notice, and we are living in a constant state of uncertainty of what our future holds. D-string’s words, “we are trapped in such anxiety” could not be more perfect. When asked what “Memories” meant to him, D-string said "Memories" is accepting change in your life but still keeping a place in your heart for what you once had. Most things in life aren’t meant to be permanent, their just roads we travel. You can really miss a certain time or part of your life and look back fondly on it but inevitably all things come to an end and all you have left is the memories"

 

"Memories"

 

Far 

You are always far away from me

Where can I love you ? 

Only in my mind 

Here 

In the plane of positivity 

I’ll always know

This is not right 

You and me is all I’ll ever need 

Love can be a fickle finite thing 

Nothing lasts forever 

What’s eternity? 

When nothing lasts at least there’s memories 

Far

You are always far away from me

So I can love you

Only in my song 

There 

Everything is clear in melody

But I still know 

That this is wrong  

You and me is all I want to be 

But we are trapped in such anxiety 

Nothing lasts forever 

What’s eternity? 

When nothing lasts at least there’s memories  

Better now

But you’re not here 

All I ever wanted 

And yet there’s tears 

You and me is what can never be (it’s meant to be this way) 

When distance rips us up it’s frustrating (why are you far away?) 

Nothing lasts forever

Who needs eternity? 

When nothing lasts at least there’s memories (oh no no don’t you cry) 

When nothing lasts at least there’s memories 

When nothing lasts, hold on to memories

I miss you 

I’m sorry I’m not there 

Green Knuckle Material 

Instagram: @gkmband

Facebook: Green Knuckle Material

Twitter: @gkmbandnj

Bandcamp: Green Knuckle Material

Spotify: Green Knuckle Material

YouTube: Green Knuckle Material

Website: greenknucklematerial.weebly.com


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A cozy place where like-minded souls connect: welcome to The North Café!

News: Vintz Desert releases his new EP "The Blue Journal"

Going out the comfort zone with Mariano Mallia's new single "The Search For More"

Thompson Newkirk encourages us to move on in his new single "Pass Mistakes"

Going deep into the creative process behind "City and Sand", the new album by Tony Venuto