Indie Songwriters: Laura meets Sandra North (LA)

Sandra North is a LA based Swedish country/rock singer and songwriter. The artist started pursuing her singing career upon her move to Los Angeles, California in 2015. Being raised in a small town in Sweden, she was struck by country music the second she put her feet in the United States. Her debut single “Try Again”, released in 2019, and her two follow up singles “Same Story ‘Bout a Broken Heart” and “You” in 2020, all made international success on charts around Europe and Scandinavia. During this past year the artist has kept on working closely with producer/songwriter Juan Abella to complete her debut EP, “Long Time Coming”, which finally saw the light of day on August 27th 2021.

As a country music lover, what I love most about Sandra North's music is her classical country style with a bit of pop in it, that gives me Little Big Town vibes. She is the perfect example of a determined woman pursuing her passions and dreams in a city where everything is possible. I can't wait to hear what this talented songwriter will show us in the future, because I'm sure this is just the beginning.

Sandra North

A little chat with Sandra North

What does music mean to you? Do you remember the first song you wrote?

Music means everything to me, it always has. It’s an escape from reality, a happy place and a safe space to express your emotions. Whatever kind of feeling you’re feeling at any given day you can always find a song to relate to that’ll make you feel better. The first song I wrote was actually my first single “Try Again” that I released in the fall of 2019. I wrote those lyrics the year previous to that and as I started singing together with my friend Juan Abella, he put music to my words and we completed it as a full song!

Do you have a favourite genre? Which are your main musical influences and what are you listening to the most at the moment?

I was raised on classic rock and pop all the way! I still really love that style and it sits in me as I perform too. Today it’s more modern country on my Spotify playlists and the albums I’ve heard a lot lately are Taylor Swift’s remake of “Fearless” and Kip Moore’s “Wild World” as well as Kelsea Ballerini’s “Kelsea” album. I can’t wait for the release of Tenille Arts new one, “Girl to Girl” also!

Does the inspiration for a new song come to you immediately or does it take a lot of time to put together lyrics and music? What message would you like to convey to your listeners?

Every song sort of comes to life in a different way. Sometimes the inspiration hits me instantly and I have to sit down and write it. Other times maybe a subject or a line pops up in my head and I’ll take notes and circle back to them when I find time to sit and write later on. Some of my songs have been created very quickly and others have required more craft to be completed. Every song carries a different message too depending on the subject matter, but I’m hoping my listeners can relate and take comfort that they’re not alone in what they’re feeling or going through.

Are there things that you would like to change in the music industry? What is the most difficult thing to cope with being an indie musician?

I’d like to see more female artists given the spotlight and be highlighted more in awards, press and radios etc. I would also wanna bring forward and emphasize the importance of “artists supporting artists” because a lot of times it’s competition for the best songs, producers or connections and people don’t wanna share what they know in order to help anyone else move forward and possibly surpass themselves. That to me is a shame. It’s a tough industry as it is and we’d all be better off helping one and another out. It is a very male dominated industry too and the hardest thing to cope with is probably being female and never knowing if whoever wants to work with you is doing it for the right reasons or not.

How do you feel when you play your music live? Are you satisfied by the results of your musical efforts so far and what is your next goal?

Playing my songs live is an incredible feeling that will never get old! It’s the best feeling in the world when you see someone singing along or someone comes up to you saying they relate to your words. I love sharing the stage with my band as well and rocking out together to the music. It fills me with so much joy! I’m extremely satisfied and thankful for everything I’ve accomplished so far. It’s far beyond anything I’d ever would have thought I could do and people are so supportive around me. I’ll just keep pushing forward and hopefully more people will find my music and come see me play!

Can you tell us your favourite music-related memory?

Oh, there are so many! Some I can’t even share out loud, haha! My first autograph, my first mixed tape, the first time on stage etc. Winning tickets to Britney in New York over the radio, getting an autograph from Taylor Hanson by his tour bus in Paris, seeing Taylor Swift up close in Manchester, meeting Kip Moore, the list goes on and on. Having my own CD and writing my very first autograph is high up there too!

Sandra North

Sandra North talks about her music

LONG TIME COMING (EP)

"Upon my move to LA in 2015 I had never written a song. I started out way back when writing poems and short stories but never music. It wasn’t until I met my producer and best friend Juan Abella that I had someone that I trusted with my lyrics. We quickly wrote “Try Again” in the fall of 2018 and started recording it which was a process that took almost a year. On September 6th 2019 it was finally ready and I had my debut single! Little did I know that it would make it to number 1 on the regional Swedish Radio show "P4 Sörmland's Top 5" the very first week and stay charted for 15 weeks straight.

My two follow up singles during 2020, “Same Story ‘Bout a Broken Heart” and “You”, created even more waves and had radio airplays all over the world in Scandinavia, Europe, Australia, Canada and the US. I also received four music award nominations and radio chart placements in both Australia and Sweden. Interviews and podcasts overseas in Europe also lead to a live stream with the West Coast Country Festival in Sweden, alongside established artists such as Jamie Meyer & Jay Smith.

Last Christmas I also collaborated with renowned songwriter/producer Mikal Reid, who's previous roster includes artists like Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger and Alice Cooper, and released my first Christmas song! "California Christmas" premiered on Christmas morning on Swedish national radio. 

During these past 2-3 years I’ve had a couple of more songs in the making and always thought of them all as a compilation of work. Therefore I really wanted to put them all together on an album and release an EP. Along with those 5 original songs we also added an acoustic version of “You”, as many people had suggested because they love that song so much. The title was clear to me long before the project was done and just felt like the natural way to go. “Long Time Coming” combines elements of modern country/pop mixed with a touch of classic rock, influenced by artists like Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood and The Band Perry. The newest single off of the album is “My Song” and a video is currently in the making for that song. This week “Southern Man” is also challenging the Top 5 list on Radio P4 Sörmland back home in Sweden too. I’m so excited for all the success it’s bringing and could have never imagined this happening as a little girl.

“Long Time Coming” reflects my lifelong musical passion and longing to tell my stories to the world. The songs will take the listener on a personal and intimate journey, from heartbreaks to disappointments, to finding love and going after your dreams!

Just like many other independent artists and songwriters, I feel like I’ve waited a lifetime to release these songs! They’ve quietly been luring inside of me for a very long time, just begging to be let out. It’s truly a relief and a dream come true getting to share them with the world. It’s been a long time coming!"

 

"I come from a tiny beautiful small town in Sweden called Trosa. It’s about an hour south of Stockholm right by the ocean and it’s catchphrase as you enter the town is “Welcome to Trosa, the end of the world”. It was an amazing safe space to grow up in with a lot of woods and nature to run around in freely. Both my parents love music and my dad always played the guitar around the house. That’s where I got my passion too!
Seeing as singing in front of people was the scariest thing I could possibly imagine for a lot of years, I instead majored in languages in highschool. Always loved travelling and different cultures plus meeting new interesting people. When I couldn’t suppress my love for music much longer I took an AA in music and event planning and worked with festivals and booking bands and events for a couple of years. That way I was still around it but I always knew something was missing, that I wanted to be the one up on stage! After a close friend made a call to a vocal coach for me I finally started singing and taking lessons. I soon thereafter applied to Musicians Institute here in Hollywood, got accepted on vocals and started my career! By far the best decision I’ve ever made and six years later I’m still here in LA with an album out. Life is crazy sometimes! I truly encourage everyone to follow their dreams and really listen to what makes them happy.
Besides being an artist, I am also a family person, cat mom and horror lover! My sister is my best friend and twin soul in life and my grandma is my biggest role model and influence. I also just became an aunt this past year to two little ones and they are the sunshine in my day. I love to dance and know several Britney choreographies and also have a huge VHS collection of thousands of movies and series back home. I adore the water, oceans or lakes, whichever one I can jump into. Learned to love avocados here in LA and always enjoy a hike in the hills where I can appreciate the stillness and beauty of the endless views of the city!
"

Sandra North

Instagram: @sandranorth_official

Facebook: @sandranorthmusic

Twitter: @SandraNorth_

Spotify: Sandra North

YouTube: Sandra North

Soundcloud: Sandra North

Website: www.sandranorthofficial.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can music help and inspire a writer, producer and Disney editor? A conversation with David Acuff

A cozy place where like-minded souls connect: welcome to The North Café!

International Indie Music: my favorite April 2023 releases

German-based artist M. Byrd releases ethereal new single "Only a Feeling"

News: Vintz Desert releases his new EP "The Blue Journal"