Lullaby-esque melodies and dreamy guitar in "Falling Asleep", the new EP by Jeff Petescia

Jeff Petescia Falling Asleep
Jeff Petescia (Photo Credit: Kris Khunachak)

Jeff Petescia is a singer-songwriter, guitarist, and 1/3 of the indie alt folk band Cold Weather Company. Their music is pretty original and distinctive, definitely a one-of-a-kind sound that combines excellent instrumentals with smart songwriting. Since I've met Cold Weather Company back in 2021, I had the opportunity to feature them various times on my page (Interview on Instagram - YouTube video). I was amazed to discover that the members of the band have their own solo music journeys too and I'm excited to introduce to you the talent of the guitarist Jeff Petescia today.

Saying that Jeff has a great talent with guitar is quite an understatement: he is able to play it upside-down while bouncing a soccer ball on his foot, to say the least. He rocks an impressive personality in fingerpicking complex melodies - his hands seem to have a life on their own! Jeff pairs this incredible ability with a dreamy and pretty clever songwriting that you can appreciate in his past EPs "Scattered", "Beneath Reality""Far Beneath the Sun" as well as in his newest EP "Falling Asleep". This new collection of tunes is a mix of very calm originals and a few covers, blending instrumental guitar and light vocals. Jeff says "If it puts you to sleep then it did its job", so prepare your pillow, a nice cozy blanket and be ready to listen to his EP on loop!!

The title-track "Falling Asleep" is an original mesmerizing little love song that you can also enjoy in a Lullaby Version at the end of the EP. The two instrumental tunes are covers of  "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" by Green Day and "You Are My Sunshine" that Jeff added as a promise to his siblings that have been asking him to release a couple of these lullaby-esque covers for their kids. About the other cover, "Fields of Gold" by Sting, Jeff shares that he played it at his brother’s wedding and it has always been one of his favorite songs. This wonderful EP is completed by the tune "Optimism in a Rainy Day", a mostly instrumental song that he wrote in high school. Jeff's distinctive fingerpicking style and nicely evocative vocals are the red string that unites this beautiful collection of songs.

Jeff Petescia's music journey is pretty impressive as well. He says: "As a kid I used to have dreams I could play guitar, waking up disappointed each time as I realized it wasn’t real. I always loved music growing up, but it was my first concert that finally pushed me to begin teaching myself guitar in my early teens (along with a bit of jealously seeing YouTubers my age covering my favorite songs). I also realized that time invested into Guitar Hero 3 was much better spent on the real thing. The only guitar in the house at the time was my sister’s right-handed acoustic, so I began playing everything upside down because for some reason I am left-handed when I play guitar (or hold a hockey stick/golf club). I am right-handed (or footed) with everything else. Rather than flip the strings or eventually purchase a left-handed guitar, I committed to playing with the strings inverted".

16 years later, he is continuing to do what he loves in multiple projects, the main one being Cold Weather Company. The other projects include his solo music and pet droid, his indie-electronic collaboration with Android Dreaming.

Jeff Petescia Falling Asleep
Jeff Petescia (Photo Credit: Kris Khunachak)

Instagram: @jeffpetescia

Spotify: Jeff Petescia

Website: www.jeffpetescia.com

Photo Credit: @kriskhunachak

Liked this article? Follow the journey of Laura Meets Musicians on Instagram and YouTube.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LuisG releases "Second Chances", an heartfelt album about life, hope for the future and sobriety

Older country, folk and rock'n'roll vibes in the upcoming album by Drew Kiddoo and the Blackouts

A cozy place where like-minded souls connect: welcome to The North Café!

News: Vintz Desert releases his new EP "The Blue Journal"

Going out the comfort zone with Mariano Mallia's new single "The Search For More"