Canadian songbird Faeya releases melancholic piano ballad "Liminal Space"

Faeya releases Liminal Space
Faeya

Vulnerable and raw, riveting and real, Faeya is a multi-talented singer and songwriter. The Canadian songbird is finding early success in her ethereal ballads, having culminated streams in over 60 countries. Her striking, piano-driven, cinematic style pushes the boundaries of songwriting for Faeya, giving her an instrumentation edge among the peers with which she shares her genre. Combined with her profoundly poetic lyrics, Faeya pens the music that most of us would be too bashful, too reticent to reveal what is really churning inside our core.

Faeya's latest single "Liminal Space", out now on all music platforms, is an ethereal piano ballad that will take you in another world and time. When I heard it for the first time with my eyes closed, I felt like something magical was happening. The evocative, sweet voice of Faeya accompanies the instrumental sounds with a crescendo that peaks with the vocal harmonies in the last part of the song, giving chills to the listener. She shares: "Liminal Space is a song about change. Or rather, my struggle to accept change. I composed the piano accompaniment a year before I wrote the lyrics. I initially intended the piece to be instrumental - just the piano with no vocals. The music was melancholic, and the harmonics were sweet but slightly unsettling; I couldn’t think of a text to write that would suit the piano composition. I finally decided to write lyrics to the melody last spring. During that time, a lot began to change in my life: my music career, my studies and my relationships with others. This song is very dear to my heart now, more than ever, as I navigate the turbulent waters of change and try to make sense of the present moment".

Faeya says: "To me, the term liminal space describes the transitional period between different phases of life. It is peaceful to find myself moving from one time in my life to another and, at the same time, very uncomfortable: realizing I cannot return to my past. I tried to depict this feeling in sound-the little instrumental refrain on the piano symbolizing a recurring yearning to return to a memory and the verses guiding me forward. I wrote the lines "You've emptied all your drawers / And now you fly like birds do" about the people I grew up with moving away from our home city. I was inspired by a poem called "Storage" by Mary Oliver, in which she writes that people that are not weighed down by their possessions can be free like birds. On the contrary, I find myself attached to the collected memories I reserve in items - and people. And so I write about how I find myself unable to free myself of the things I once cherished. This song is very different from those I had written in the past because it does not follow my preferred verse and chorus structure. Instead, the lyrics are short and simple as a poem, and the instrumental melody culminates in the last line. I had the opportunity to work with the talented sound engineer Calvin Hartwick and musician Isabel Ritchie. Isabel composed the violin in this piece, and we decided on a single-voice melody to replicate a sad cry. Overall, this song feels complete to me. I feel that I have sung what I needed to express, and I am happy with it entering the world!".

"Liminal space"

My mind is a prison,

A million earthquakes rock my stable ground,

Some say if you listen,

What's meant to be will make itself found.

I often wonder how come,

The world feels new to you,

You emptied all your drawers,

And now you fly like birds do.

And I'm so used to living in yesterdays,

So I lock myself away,

And I stay,

In a liminal space.


Faeya releases Liminal Space
Faeya
Instagram: @faeyamusic 
Linktree: Faeya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A cozy place where like-minded souls connect: welcome to The North Café!

News: Vintz Desert releases his new EP "The Blue Journal"

Thompson Newkirk encourages us to move on in his new single "Pass Mistakes"

Going out the comfort zone with Mariano Mallia's new single "The Search For More"

Going deep into the creative process behind "City and Sand", the new album by Tony Venuto